Safeguarding Adults

Organisations across Derby and Derbyshire are working together to ensure that:

  • adults living in Derby are supported to safeguard themselves from abuse and can report any concerns they may have
  • there is a zero tolerance approach to the abuse of Adults at Risk where this occurs.

If you need to make a referral, please complete and submit the Safeguarding Adults E-Form.

Who does this apply to?

Under the Care Act 2014, the safeguarding adults procedures apply to anyone aged 18 or over who:

  • is in need of care and support and
  • is at risk of, or is experiencing abuse or neglect and
  • is unable to keep themselves safe because of their care and support needs.

What do we mean by 'abuse'?

Abuse is a violation of a person's rights or dignity by someone else. Find out about the different Types of Abuse.

Who commits abuse?

It can be done by anyone, including:

  • relatives or family members
  • professional staff
  • paid care workers
  • volunteers
  • other users of services
  • neighbours
  • friends and associates
  • strangers

Where you can I get help?

If you are the victim of abuse or you think you know someone who is being or has been abused, it is really important to get help and advice. Contact us and we will take your concerns seriously.

Our contact details

During office hours (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

Contact details to make a referral to Derby City Council, Adults, Health and Housing:

If you have a CJSM email account you can email the Safeguarding Referral Form to:‌

If you are unsure or do not have a secure email account, please send your referral using the fax number: 01332 643299.

Outside office hours

You can contact Careline (Derby's out of hours emergency social care service):

  • Telephone 01332 786968
  • Minicom 01332 785642
  • Fax 01332 786965
  • SMS text message number 07890 034081 (for deaf people only)

If something needs to be done straight away to protect someone from abuse or harm, call the emergency number 999 (24 hours).

The deaf and hearing impaired community can use the National Short Message Servive (SMS) Emergency Service. To use this service you will need to register at

Alternatively, if it is a non-emergency criminal matter, you can call the local Police on telephone number 101, text 07800 002414, or fax 01773 571102.

For external agencies to make a referral to Adult Social Care, complete and submit the Safeguarding Adults E-Form.

Policy and procedure

The Derby Safeguarding Adults Board and Derbyshire Safeguarding Adults Board have a joint policy and procedures:

Safeguarding Adults: Policy and Procedures

Introduction to Safeguarding in Derby

This video introduces the city’s safeguarding leads, gives an overview of what they do and educates the viewer on how to make a referral if they think an adult may be at risk.

Adult Safeguarding in Derby - Youtube video


Latest News

Safeguarding Training

New Safeguarding Courses available and can be booked via: Safeguarding Adults Training Booking


Try the “Delirium in Dementia Training Tool"

Access the Delirium in Dementia Training Tool